About this course
The programme aims to graduate students who are critical thinkers equipped with analytical skills to learn from varied social and situated contexts, and who have developed a global world view based upon a heightened level of cross-cultural awareness and intercultural sensitivity. The Chinese major will also be reflective learners and as such should become acutely aware of the need for life-long learning in a globally dynamic multicultural environment. Through a carefully integrated curriculum, students will acquire a solid foundation in Chinese major with a global perspective.
GCE AL / IAL with
- Grade D or above in 3 AL subjects; or
- Grade D in 2 AL plus 2 Advanced Supplementary Level (ASL) subjects. (
Not including Chinese / Mandarin / English Language subjects. The same subject cannot be counted at both the AL and ASL).
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Applicant should request the IB organization to send scores to the University (Institution Code: 004307).
SAT Reasoning Test
- A minimum total score of 1,190 (out of 1,600) in the new SAT Reasoning Test (including Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and Mathematics) / 1,650 (out of 2,400) in the old SAT Reasoning Test (including Critical Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) in one sitting.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
- (MyBestTM Score is not accepted) Internet-based: 80; or
- Paper-based (prior to July 2017): 550; or
- Paper-delivered Test: Minimum score at the intermediate level in each section (Reading, Listening and Writing)
* Passing the TOEFL ITP does not satisfy the English language requirement.
- Overall Band: 6
- Grade E or above in GCE AS-level or A-level English; or
- Grade C / Grade 4 or above in IGCSE / GCE O-level English; or
- Grade C / Grade 4 or above in GCSE English or English Literature
- English A: Language and Literature (Higher or Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English A: Literature (Higher or Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English B (Higher Level) – Grade 4; or
- English B (Standard Level) – Grade 5; or
- English Literature and Performance (Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English Text and Performance (Standard Level) – Grade 4
- A sub-score of 8 in Essay Writing in old SAT; or
- 590 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing in new SAT
- Other English language qualifications deemed acceptable by the University.
Components and Credit Points (cps)
- Major (Chinese), 54 credit points
- Major Interdisciplinary, 3 credit points
- Internship, 3 credit points
Final Year Project, 6 credit points
- Research Methods
- Honours Project / Capstone Project
Electives (including a 15-cp Mandatory Chinese Minor for students in the 4-year programme), 24 credit points
Language Enhancement, 9 credit points
- Mandatory credit bearing language courses
- Mandatory and optional non-credit bearing language courses
General Education, 22 credit points
Total: 121 credit points
Classes will be held in Tai Po Campus and Tseung Kwan O Study Centre / Kowloon Tong Satellite Study Centre / Sports Centre as decided by the University.