About this course
Analytical chemistry is the study of the separation, identifcation and quantifcation of the chemical components of natural and artifcial materials.
Qualitative analysis gives an indication of the identity of the chemical species in the sample and quantitative analysis determines the amount of one or more of these components.
Analytical chemistry focuses on improvements in experimental design, chemometrics and the creation of new measurement tools to provide better chemical information. Analytical chemistry is applied in forensics, environmental analysis, materials analysis, drugs analysis, food analysis, bioanalysis, and clinical analysis. As a scientific field of great diversity in its application, students trained in this programme will be in great demand in the chemical related industries.
This programme provides students with a thorough background in analytical chemistry with a strong emphasis on instrumentation and the development of variety of important analytical skills.
This programme focuses on giving hands-on experience to students on some of the major analytical techniques for analysing samples from a wide range of sources and equips graduates with a broad solid foundation in Chemistry.
It is also designed to meet industries’ need for capable, dynamic and innovative graduates with well-developed technical skills and a sound theoretical knowledge in analytical chemistry.
This programme is endorsed by Institut Kimia Malaysia (IKM). Graduates of this programme can join IKM as a member and can be recognised as a 'Registered Chemist' in Malaysia.
(1) STPM - Grade C in 2 relevant subjects which must include Chemistry
(2) A Level - Grade D in 2 relevant subjects which must include Chemistry
(3) UEC - Grade B in 5 relevant subjects
which must include Chemistry
(4) Other IHL - Relevant Foundation/ Diploma accredited by MQA
(5)TAR UC - Foundation in Science (Track A / Track B) OR Diploma in Science
(1), (2), (3) and (4) must include-
i) SPM Pass/ O Level Grade E (Pass)in Mathematics#/ UEC Grade C in one mathematics subject#
ii) SPM Pass/ O Level Grade E (Pass)/ UEC Grade C in English Language*
*Grade C and above in AELE0364 English Language conducted by TAR UC is accepted as having fulfilled the English Language requirement for applicants who fail English Language at SPM/O Level/UEC.
#Grade C and above in AMMS0104 General Mathematics conducted by TAR UC is accepted as having fulfilled the Mathematics requirement for applicants who fail the required mathematics subject SPM/O Level/UEC.
a) SPM holders must have at least a pass in Bahasa Melayu and SPM holders from Year 2013 onwards must have a t least a past in Sejarah.
b) TAR UC Diploma will be accepted on credit transfer into Bachelor Degree programmes.
c) Equivalent qualifications/qualifications from other Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
d) Subject to the Ministry of Higher Education latest requirements.
- Chemical Laboratory I
- Chemical Laboratory II
- Chemical Laboratory III
- Chemical Laboratory IV
- Chemical Laboratory V
- Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Properties of Matter and Chemical Energetics
- Chemistry of Elements and Organic Compounds
- Kinetics, Mechanisms and Stereo chemistry
- Thermodynamics and Electrochemistry
- Spectroscopy and Properties of Organic Compounds
- Polymer Chemistry
- Polymer Characterisation & Thermal Analysis
- Materials Science
- Chemical Lab Management
- Transition Elements and Coordination Compounds
- Food Chemistry and Analysis
- Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis
- Environmental Chemistry and Analysis
- Analytical Method Development and Validation
- Environmental Pollution Control
- QA and QC in Good Laboratory Practices
- Industrial Training
- Calculus and Algebra
- Basic Statistical Methods for Scientific Analysis
- Elective I
- Elective II
Elective Courses (Choose 2):
- Chemical Safety and Security
- Solid State Chemistry
- Cosmetic Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Organometallic Chemistry
- Occupational Safety & Health
- Surface and Colloid Chemistry
- Industrial Organic Chemistry
Language, Mata Pelajaran Pengajian Umum (MPU) and Co-curricular Courses:
English Language, Tamadun Islam dan Asia, English for Communication, Hubungan Etnik, English for the Profession, Entrepreneurship, Bahasa Kebangsaan A, Contemporary Malaysian Issues, Co-curricular.