About this course
The Bachelor of Arts (Government & Public Policy) (Honours) is a holistic and integrated programme designed to achieve the following objectives :
- To provide an academic program with sufficient flexibility to meet both the needs of students without fixed career objective and the needs of those already in the public service who wish to enhance their skills or prepare themselves for career enhancement.
- To provide adequate foundation work in subject areas that are fundamental to a liberal, professionally-oriented education and to prepare for career objectives including graduate work.
- To enhance understanding of economic, legal, political, and governmental institutions, systems and processes pertinent to the progress and development of the public sector.
- To ensure development of analytical and quantitative abilities and skills for defining and solving problems relevant to the public sector.
- To develop interpersonal abilities and skills to be able to function effectively and efficiently in order to enhance the performance of the public sector.
- To provide understanding of human behavior, i.e. individual, group and organisational, including the development of abilities and skills for analyzing and coping with behavioral situations in the public sector.
STPM: A Pass in STPM with a minimum grade C (Grade Point of 2.00) in any TWO (2) subjects and a pass in Mathematics and a pass in English at SPM level;
Note: The requirement for PASS in Mathematics and English at the SPM level can be excluded if the candidate obtained credit or higher grade at STPM
A Level: A Pass in A-Level with a minimum of Grade D in TWO (2) subjects and a credit in Mathematics and a pass in English at SPM level or its equivalent; OR
MATRICULATION: A Pass Matriculation, Foundation or Pre-University with a minimum CGPA of 2.00 from an institution recognized by the Malaysian Government; OR
STAM: A Pass in Sijil Tinggi Agama Malaysia (STAM) with a minimum grade of Jayyid and a pass in Mathematics and English at SPM level; OR
Note: The requirements for PASS in Mathematics and English at the SPM level can be excluded if the candidate obtained credit or higher grade at STAM
UEC: A Pass in UEC with minimum of B grade in FIVE (5) subjects including a pass in Mathematics and English; OR
Diploma: A Pass in Diploma with a minimum CGPA of 2.00 from universities/Colleges recognized by the Malaysian Government; OR
IB: A Pass in International Bacccalaurete (IB) Diploma with minimum score of 30 points; OR
Others: Other equivalent qualifications recognised by MQA/Malaysian Government**
Diploma Executive UM
Diploma Kolej Vokasional (DVM)
Pass DVM in Related fields AND Pass Sijil Vokasional Malaysia (SVM) with:
An Academic Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.00 or higher;
A vocational CGPA of 2.67 or higher and competent in all vocational module;
A credit Bahasa Melayu (SVM 1104)
** Cohort 2013 onwards also need to get an exemption from obtaining a pass grade for Sejarah at SPM level
International: IELTS Band 5.5 or TOEFL 550 or a minimum of Grade B2 (162) in First Cambridge English (FCE) or MUET (Band 3) or other equivalent English qualification recognised by MQA/Malaysian Government
** The validity period for TOEFL and IELTS is TWO (2) years from the date of the award.
Note: Conditional offer letter will be issued to international student who has not met the English Proficiency Requirements. The student has to achieve English Proficiency Requirement within period for 12 months.
- English for Academic Purposes
- Study Skills
- Introduction to Psychology
- Introduction to Political Science
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Business Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Introduction to Sociology
- Development Economics
- Management Information Systems
- Innovation in Organisation
- Leadership Development Skills & Group Dynamics
- Statistics for Social Sciences
- Introduction to Public Administration and Services
- Malaysian Economy and Policy
- Co-Curriculum I
- Cross Cultural Management
- Negotiations and Conflict Management
- Research Methodology
- Ethics and Leadership
- Business and Government Relations
- Co-Curriculum II
- Introduction to Demography
- Public Policy, Planning and Process
- Introduction to Human Ecology
- Project Planning and Development
- International Relations and Diplomacy
- Community Development and Services
- Environmental Issues and Policy
- Malaysian Government and Administration
- Public Law, Constitution and Administration
- Management of State-Owned Enterprise
- Political Economy for Development
- Financial and Management Accounting in Public Sector
- Non Governmental Organisation and Management
- Public Sector Management
- Research Project and Seminar or