- A Level: Must include passes at A2 in at least one subject.
- BTEC: Extended Diploma (QCF) or Diploma (QCF)
- International Baccalaureate: Diploma with 24 points including a minimum of 15 points at Higher Level.
- Other equivalent qualifications recognised by the university.
Note: We would normally expect you to have Grade C in GCSE English and Maths.
English Language Requirements:
- Overall IELTS score of 5.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking (or recognised equivalent).
This fascinating and challenging course combines creative, theory-based learning with industry practice. It will give you a thorough grounding in advertising as a business as well as a deep understanding of consumer culture.
The course centres on four major areas: how the industry works, digital media production, social and market research techniques and theoretical examinations of culture and consumer society.
You'll explore the advertising business and topics surrounding it, such as branding, promotional communication, cultural theory, media planning, new media, social media and advertising creativity.
Industry experience is at the course’s heart. You’ll take modules designed specifically to bridge advertising theory and practice, giving you the chance to hear from top industry professionals. Recent speakers have represented major international agencies such as Ogilvy and BrandVoice.
Our teaching team includes Abigail Summerfield, who was previously an account director at Saatchi & Saatchi Advertising.
- Advertising; past, present and future
- Branding in Theory and Practice
- Digital Media Development 1
- Advertising, Representation and Culture
- Pitching for Business
- Media Planning in the City
- Researching Audiences, Texts and Media industries
- Working in the Media and Communications Industries
- Promotional Culture and the Consumer
- Campaign Design and Execution
- Advertising Dissertation*
- Media Production Dissertation Project*
- Mobile Media, Promotion and Exhibition
- Digital Communications
- Copywriting in the Creative Industries
- Public Relations and Promotion
*You will take either the Advertising Dissertation or the Media Production Dissertation)